A maintenance job that every vehicle owner can easily carry out by themselves is changing the wheel bearing but this can only be done only if one is familiar with how a wheel hub is arranged. One important thing everyone must note is that a wheel bearing needs proper lubrication or else it would be impossible for it t move freely and this is also a major reason why the wheel is open to several damages. This is where making use of the best wheel bearing grease comes in.
A Complete Buying Guide On Finding The Best Wheel Bearing Grease
- A Complete Buying Guide On Finding The Best Wheel Bearing Grease
- Best Wheel Bearing Grease Review
- 1. Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease
- 2. Lucas Oil 14.5 Ounce 10301 Heavy Duty Grease
- 3. Mag 1 720 Disc Brake Wheel Bearing Grease
- 4. Sta-Lube SL3121 Wheel Bearing Grease
- 5. Royal Purple 01312 NLGI Grease
- 6. Allstar ALL78241 Timken
- 7. Lucas Oil 10320 Marine Grease
- 8. Star Brite Wheel Bearing Grease
- 9. LubriMatic 11404 Grease
- 10. Dow Corning Molykote 33 Medium Grease
- Best Wheel Bearing Grease Buying Guide
- Types of Wheel Bearing Grease
- Conclusion – Our Favorite Pick
- Search Related Contents
It is also very important that one makes use of a good wheel bearing grease for use on your wheel bearings and each wheel bearing grease on the market has its own unique features that makes it suitable for use in different applications. There are wheel bearing greases that would also be suitable for use in general applications and to keep you informed on the best wheel bearing grease and what they are capable of doing then check out this interesting review;
Best Wheel Bearing Grease Review
1. Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease
We are kicking off this review with the best choice you can make when shopping for a wheel bearing grease for your vehicle and this is no other product than the Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Bearing Grease which is specially designed for vehicles that are manufactured in the United States of America, Japan and some parts of Europe. If you also want a wheel bearing grease that would offer adequate protection even at high and low temperature then you have definitely found the right product.
There are so many outstanding features of this wheel bearing grease but one that makes it stand out from all others on the market is its ability to offer superior lubrication than other conventional grease you would ever come across. One other thing you should know about this product is it has been moly-fortified which helps in boosting the strength of the film and ensuring it has high resistivity to heavy loads.
This is a lithium complex EP grease which was been well fortified for use under extreme pressure.
- Designed specially for use in vehicles manufactured in Japan, Europe and United States of America
- Has a moly-fortification which boosts its strength
- This is a synthetic automotive grease
2. Lucas Oil 14.5 Ounce 10301 Heavy Duty Grease
This is a heavy duty wheel bearing grease which can be used on farm equipment, large trucks and also on construction equipment. Making use of this wheel bearing grease would greatly increase the lifespan of vehicle components and you would no longer have to spend time and money carrying out maintenance everytime. Unlike every other regular grease product that you have come across, this one is designed to last four times longer.
This is one wheel bearing grease that you can trust as it remains stable regardless of temperature and for a fact, this is a waterproof kind of grease. For all high speed bearings, this is the right kind of grease that should be used on it and it is far more stable when compared with lithium grease. It is also fortified using an extreme pressure additive package so in terms of specification, this grease exceeds OEM lube.
- The best type of grease for use on farm equipment and large trucks
- Unlike other grease, this would last four times longer
- Also proves to be stable than lithium grease
3. Mag 1 720 Disc Brake Wheel Bearing Grease
The MAG1 wheel bearing grease is the next we would talk about in this detailed review and settling for this product means you are getting both a wheel bearing grease and a disc brake that is resistant to temperature. You would love this wheel bearing grease as it is a lithium complex multipurpose grease which users would find very simple to work with and guess what, it can also be used in industrial, agricultural and automobile applications.
Even at extreme temperatures, this grease pumps readily and what this tells you is this grease would also perform whether under cold or hot climatic conditions. It is excellent in resisting water and also fights back water washout incredibly well. This is however one attribute that you wouldn’t find in every regular wheel bearing grease on the market while other special characteristics includes resistant to wear and also good at lubricating.
It is also fortified using high quality additives that would resist extreme pressure , corrosion, rust and chemicals.
- No matter the temperature, this grease would pump readily
- Resistant to rust, chemicals, corrosion and also extreme pressure
- Well fortified with extreme pressure additives
4. Sta-Lube SL3121 Wheel Bearing Grease
If you want an excellent wheel bearing grease for use on your snow mobiles, terrain vehicles and also for use on road motorcycles then the STA-lube water resistant marine grease. Furthermore, this is the kind of grease that you can make use of on marine equipment and also on four wheel drive vehicles. It is manufactured using an aluminum complex and also a base oil that is well refined which gives it a tacky and blue appearance.
One more thing that you should know about this wheel bearing grease is it contains a polymer which makes it adhesive and is also responsible for its excellent water wash-out property. This is a massive advantage as it makes this grease resistant to water even under extreme conditions.
- The best for use on marine equipment
- This is an aluminum complex grease
- Has a tacky and blue appearance
5. Royal Purple 01312 NLGI Grease
Right now you are looking at a synthetic wheel bearing grease manufactured by the Royal Purple brand which features the combination of a non corrosive additive and an aluminum complex in its formulation. Applying this grease to your wheel bearings would greatly expand their lifespan and also make them very reliable and this grease is also a multipurpose kind of grease as it can be used for household, marine and motor vehicle applications.
One advantage of adding this grease to your bearings is it promotes a quiet and smooth operation as well as minimizing operating temperature and reducing heat. It can also be used in U-joints and wheel bearing applications. There are so many interesting features of this grease and one eye catching feature is its ability to resist extreme pressure conditions. When it comes to resisting water, you can bank on this grease to do that and it also includes resisting emulsion and water wash-out.
Even under high temperatures, you can trust this grease to remain stable and it is also good for lubricating. In conclusion, this is an excellent grease that would offer great value for your money.
- Has it own lock and pause plunger
- Makes sure operations runs quietly and smoothly
- Features the combination of a non-corrosive additive and aluminum complex
6. Allstar ALL78241 Timken
The Timken Allstar wheel bearing grease is slightly different than the rest products we have talked about and its difference lies in the way it is supplied. It is supplied in a tub and is also capable of operating at extreme temperatures without having a break down. What this tells you about this product is it is ideal for use on drum and disc bearings and in its formulation, it has corrosion inhibitors which helps to cut down on wear and tear as well as making it resistant to water.
With this wheel bearing grease, your vehicle would be protected in any condition and according to the National Lubrication Grease Institute, this wheel bearing grease is highly ranked based on its level of performance. It is made using a thickener that comprises of a lithium complex and what it does is to boost mechanical stability and minimize softening.
- Contains corrosion inhibitors
- Resistant to water and wear
- Contains a lithium complex thickener
7. Lucas Oil 10320 Marine Grease
This is a high performance multi-purpose grease which is highly resistant to water and this makes it a very reliable option for use in marine and automobile environments but not for use in centralized dispensing systems. People who have also used this wheel bearing grease on bikes came back to give positive reviews as it had a positive influence on seal bearings and wheel hubs. It can also be used when dealing with tent trailers and cycle trailers.
This is a premium and heavy duty marine grease which also has an NLGI certification and guess what, it also features a special additive system that makes it resistant to water. Its 540 pounds dropping points and Timken 80 pounds load makes it a good option for use in automotive, chassis and marine wheel bearing applications. When it comes to delivering excellent lubrication, this is also the best wheel bearing grease to rely on.
- This is also a lithium complex grease
- Recommended for use in marine applications
- Has a weld point of 620g
- Has 80 pounds Timken loads
8. Star Brite Wheel Bearing Grease
If you are searching for a water resistant grease that you can make use of in the marine environment then this is the grease that you have been looking for as it would perform exceedingly well even in areas with corrosion issues. You can trust this grease to be used in different kinds of applications including marine trailer anchor chains and wheel bearings and it can also be used in wheel bearings of automotive vehicles. It has an NLGI approval as it proves to be highly resistant to water thanks to its unique water insoluble formulation.
You no longer have to be worried about corrosion and rust that occurs as a result of attacks from salt water as this grease guarantees maximum protection at all times and even at extremely high temperatures, this grease would still remain very effective so you are getting a high performance grease if you end up settling for this product.
- Has water resistant properties
- Has the NLGI approval
- Guarantees optimal protection from rust and corrosion
9. LubriMatic 11404 Grease
For use in marine, automotive and bicycling applications, the LubriMatic marine grease is an excellent choice of grease to settle for and this owes to the fact that it has a higher dropping point when compared with several lithium based greases. Its calcium sulfonate component is the reason why it has a high dropping point and it also ensures it stays stable than lithium complex grease.
Unlike other grease, this one would hold up well under pressure and here’s one secret about its calcium sulfonate component, it is water insoluble and therefore makes this grease a preferred option for use in the marine environment as it has the capacity to withstand water. Offering adequate protection to corrosion is also another benefit that is attached to making use of this product.
It can also be used when working on swivel hinges, wheel bearings of disc brakes as well as on anchor chains.
- Made using calcium sulfonate
- Has high resistivity to caking
- Also resistant to water
10. Dow Corning Molykote 33 Medium Grease
The Dow corning grease is a medium grade grease that can also be used in various applications. It has a white color and also operates at low temperatures and this is why it is a good choice for use on valves, O-rings, metal components and other rubber components as well as in automotive applications. The NLGI has gone on to grade this grease as a grade 2 kind of grease.
This grade is made using phenyl methyl silicone mixed with lithium stearate and these two components are the main reason why it remains stable even under low and high temperatures. This grease can be used in photographic equipment, vehicles and also in industrial settings and some of its standout features includes being inert, resistant to water wash-out, resistant to oxidation and also possessing a high shear stability.
- Resistant to low and high temperature
- Resistant to high oxidation
- Made from phenyl methyl silicone
Best Wheel Bearing Grease Buying Guide
Wheel bearings are very important because they support free movement of the bearings as well as supporting the weight of the vehicle. When driving thousands of miles, they have the ability to withstand forces but for them to be this effective, they have to be in good condition and that is why they must be well lubricated with grease. The aim of adding grease to wheel bearings is to ensure proper lubrication and protection and the presence of a seal around wheel bearings makes sure grease is sealed in while contaminants and water are kept out.
Without the grease, the wheel bearings become contaminated and this leads to less lubrication which in turn generates friction between the bearings and the wheel. Wheel bearings will break down and also corrode if there is not grease and finally, the wheel would not turn. Inadequate lubrication on wheel bearings would cause wheels to spin evenly and quickly therefore leading to too much friction.
This friction in turn cause uneven wear and tear on your vehicle tires and also progresses to damaging other vital parts of the wheel hub.
Types of Wheel Bearing Grease
There are various types of wheel bearing grease that one can make use of on wheel bearings but it is also very important to know their special features and properties so you would be able to make a good choice before selecting any;
- Lithium Based Grease – this is the type of grease that has a very high tolerance for high pressures and also for resistant water. It is one of the best types to make use of.
- Multi-purpose Grease – this is another type of grease with one or two properties for various types of grease. It is the type that can be used in various household and automotive setting.
- Moly EP Grease – moly is the short for of molybdenum Disulfide while the EP stands for extreme pressure. What this tells you is this is a good choice for grease for use under high pressure and it can be used when working on ball joints and U-joints.
- Calcium Based Grease – this kind of grease has high water resistivity but not goo for high temperatures. There are sodium based grease that can be used for high temperatures but would not be able to repel water and this most times do not make them a good choice for lubrication.
- Marine Wheel Bearing Grease – this is the right kind of grease if you are working in a marine environment where there is too much corrosion and salt water. It is a good choice for wheel bearings and also increased water resistance.
- White Lithium Grease – they are also referred to as “multi-purpose grease” and they are specially for use in metal to metal conditions as they fight against corrosion and also offer moisture protection. They would do well when used in car chassis then when applied on wheel bearings.
Conclusion – Our Favorite Pick
Out of all the best wheel bearing grease products that we have talked about extensively in this review, one seems to catch our interest and that is the Valvoline Synthetic automotive grease. This type of grease is one designed specially for cars manufactured in Europe, United States of America and Japan and it is quite reliable as it guarantees providing protection whether at low or high temperatures. In terms of protection and lubrication, this grease would outshine several conventional greases.