Bike are quite fun whether you just want to hit the road for sight seeing or you want to rush down to somewhere real quick. One way you can take your bikes to the next level is by getting your vehicle involved and even though this might sound quite strange to the ears, there is a partnership between bikes and cars. Cars helps in opening the horizon into bike riding adventure and also opens you to fun and new locations.
A Complete Buying Guide on Selecting the Best Bike Rack for Cars
- A Complete Buying Guide on Selecting the Best Bike Rack for Cars
- 15 Best Bike Rack for Cars
- 1. Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Racks for 2 in. Hitch
- 2. Saris Bones 2-Bike Trunk Rack
- 3. Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Bike Rack
- 4. Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack
- 5. Yakima – RidgeBack 4, Hitch Rack
- 6. Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack
- 7. Thule Vertex XT Hitch Mount Bike Carrier
- 8. Tyger Auto TG-RK4B102B Deluxe 4-Bike Carrier Rack
- 9. Yakima – HighRoad Rooftop Upright Bike Mount
- 10. Allen Sports Tension Bar Bicycle Cross-Bar Adaptor
- 11. CyclingDeal 1 Bike Car Roof Carrier Rack Bicycle Racks
- 12. CyclingDeal 1 Bike Bicycle Car Roof Carrier
- 13. SportRack SR4883 Upright Bike Carrier
- 14. Hollywood Racks Express Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
- 15. SeaSucker Falcon Bike Rack, 1-Bike
- Vital Features to Look out for When Shopping for Bike Rack for Cars
- Related Review
To be able to enjoy having fun in these new locations, you would certainly need a bike rack to help transport your bike while driving and luckily for you, there are lots of bike racks available for sale if you take a look at the market but the main question is if you are actually settling for a reliable bike rack.
This guide would show you the best bike racks and also talks about their key features as well as their downsides too. Check them out;
15 Best Bike Rack for Cars
1. Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Racks for 2 in. Hitch
One interesting fact about the Allen Sport brand is that they have been in the business of making unique bike for about fifty years and the first rack founder Dick Allen manufactured was designed using old fire hose and electrical conduit material. That isn’t the case presently as this company has moved on from making use of old materials to modern day materials. This is one product car owners would certainly love to have.
It comes packed with numerous exciting and interesting features but what seems to interest people more about this product is how easy anyone can make use of it. You can easily slot this bike rack onto your trailer hitch, keep your device standing in an upright position and making use of a bolt sturdy to keep it secure. Its arms are 22 inches in length therefore making them long enough to hold large bike frames.
These bike racks can be folded when they are not in use and another impressive aspect of this bike rack from Allen is its anti-wobble design that helps to ensure this rack doesn’t wobble when driving. A black powder coat and a sturdy steel construction all contributes to why this bike rack has a long lifespan while its unique tie-down design also makes this bike rack very easy to make use of.
- Doesn’t wobble
- Designed to be solid and secure
- Has an excellent value
- Has a simple installation process
2. Saris Bones 2-Bike Trunk Rack
Another high quality bike rack manufacturer that vehicle owners can trust is the Saris brand and it isn’t surprising that this brand has found a way into this review as it is well known and trusted for the manufacture of high quality and premium products. The Saris brand is well known for making cutting edge designs when talking about racks and this bike rack listed here also lives up to that reputation.
Loading, adjusting and installation of this premium bike rack is very easy and convenient and being easy to use is quite an important and notable feature of this bike rack. It has a very low weight thanks to its plastic construction and thanks to a plastic injection molded design, this rack is quite strong and rigid and this isn’t something you get from a regular plastic product.
Its price matches its high quality design and construction and it is also necessary to note that this bike rack would accommodate only two bikes. With all these being said, you can actually say that this bike rack is one of the best available today.
- It has a high strength thanks to its injection molded construction
- Constructed using one hundred percent recycled materials
- Has a rust-proof design
- Has an easy to adjust and install design
3. Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Bike Rack
The Thule Bike Rack is also another bike rack with an outstanding design that anyone can rely on and the fact about this product is bike enthusiasts recognize this bike rack to be a solid product and this isn’t just any bike rack or like the average bike rack you encounter everyday as it comes with a mouthwatering price tag that easily makes it quite expensive but its price tag also depends on its size.
This bike has an impressive design that sets it apart from the rest on the market and there are several other features that also makes it unique and these features includes no requiring any tool during installation and also featuring a trunk mounting style. Having a clever hinged joint design offers easy access when trying to load a bike on this rack and when not in use, one can fold this rack easily.
In summary, this bike rack doesn’t have a cheap price tag but as far as we are talking about the Thule brand, buyers are rest assured that they are settling for a solid and reliable product that would last for a very long period of time. It is well designed, properly constructed also packed with several amazing features.
- Its installation or attachment doesn’t require the use of tools
- Has an in-built security lock design
- Can be folded when not in use
- Loading of bikes onto this rack is easy and convenient
4. Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack
If you are interested in the Thule bike rack we just talked about but would not be settling for it due to its heavy price tag then the Swagman XC cross-country bike rack is certainly one product you should not miss out on as it boasts to be a simpler version of the Thule bike rack and another advantage it has is it can be gotten at a cheaper value.
Users would be impressed with this bike as they would find it very easy to make use of and it also comes with ratchet arms that makes sure the bike stays secure when driving. But this bike is however far from perfect as it lacks quite some impressive and high quality features like other bikes we have talked about. It also doesn’t come with a hinge which helps in offering trunk access.
In all that has been said, you can see that this bike rack is quite simple and doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles and you would find it very affordable as it doesn’t come with a heavy price tag.
- Quite easy to make use of
- Comes with a universal hitch mount
- Comes with Ratchet arms that easy to adjust
5. Yakima – RidgeBack 4, Hitch Rack
This is a bike rack with a hitch mounted design and it is quite different from the Swagman and the Thule bike rack that we talked about earlier as it comes with an extended arm which serves as an attachment for bike tubes while the other two products we talked about are base mounted carrying rack. However, there are some features that this bike rack possesses that are present in the previous two products we talked about.
One of the features is users would not experience any difficulty when trying to make use of this bike rack and it also boasts of having a wide or larger carrying capacity as it is designed to carry about two to five bikes at a time therefore making it the best for use while going on family trips. Loading bikes onto this rack is quite easy while its zip strips makes sure bikes stay secure while driving.
Its price tag isn’t cheap but it isn’t also heavy but in all, this is definitely a bike rack that you shouldn’t hesitate to settle for.
- Easy to install with zero tools for installation
- Comes with anti-sway cradles
- Zip strips keeps bikes secured
- Rack tilts offers trunk access
6. Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack
This is another product from the Allen brand to make it to this review and this bike rack has a flexible design that makes it to be rated among the top and high quality bike racks for cars available today. Unlike other products which we have talked about in this review, this bike rack for cars doesn’t come with a hitch for attaching bikes to it. Its clever design also makes sure it can be used for different types of vehicles.
With the use of strap systems, mounting is quite secure and safe while one feature that interests most customers about this bike rack is it comes with durable padding that offers your vehicle painting maximum protection. One more thing, this bike rack comes in various sizes that makes it accommodate two to four bikes at the same time. This bike rack is designed by a reputable company and it also sells at a low price.
- Product gets delivered already assembled
- Has a simple installation process
- Its lower frame is well padded to protect your vehicle painting
- Works great with different types of cars
7. Thule Vertex XT Hitch Mount Bike Carrier
This is another bike rack from Thule to make it to this review but this model is quite different from the one we talked about earlier. In this model, the bike is connected to the rack using a top bar unlike in the previous model where it is connected using wheels. This makes the design less complicated and also making the price tag also low compared to the other model. Having a lower price tag however doesn’t mean this product is of low quality
The downside about this product is that it doesn’t come with a hinged joint which helps in granting access for movement of the rack but one feature that customers would love about this bike rack is it can be folded when not in use. Furthermore, there is a lot of carrying capacity if you settle for this bike rack as it is designed to accommodate two to five bikes while hold fast cradles helps in holding the bikes in a secure position.
Packed with numerous features and having an excellent build quality are what makes this bike rack stand out from other products we have today.
- Designed to fit hitch receivers
- Has an impressive ground clearance
- Also comes with anti-sway cradles
- Has a good carrying capacity
8. Tyger Auto TG-RK4B102B Deluxe 4-Bike Carrier Rack
This is quite a basic model bike rack and one other thing you should know is it isn’t a product manufactured by one of the leading and popular brands on the market. Unlike in big boys products which comes with a heavy price tag, the case is different with this product as it comes with a low and cheaper price tag but that doesn’t really imply that this product doesn’t come with the necessary or key features that a bike rack should have.
Having well secured and well designed attaching points would keep bikes safe and it also makes use of a simple hitch adaptor which is compatible with 2 and 1.5 inch hitch receivers. It has a generous carrying capacity as it would accommodate up to four bikes while the presence of a hinge joint allows for forward tilting so one can have easy access to the trunk. It lacks a few vital features but is solidly built considering its price tag.
- Has a tilt down feature
- Compatible with several hitch receivers
- Comes with a free bike lock
- Has a soft lining on arms and cradle
- Its arms can be folded too
9. Yakima – HighRoad Rooftop Upright Bike Mount
This is also another product from the Yakima brand to make it to this well detailed guide and this is a bike rack that is quite different from the rest products we have talked about. This is a bike rack with an upright style and design meaning it is designed for mounting on your vehicle’s roof through the roof rack. However, it would interest you to know that this design of rack also has its advantages and disadvantages.
One major advantage that this bike rack has is that users would find it very easy to make use of while its strapping device and wheel hoop helps in securing the bike in front. Not only does this make securing simple but it also makes loading a bike onto this rack quite easy. Unlike other upright bike racks, this bike rack has a sleek and nice design and its design also helps in maintaining fuel economy and limiting drag.
- Needs a roof rack
- Can only accommodate one bike
- Very easy to make use
- Has an upright design
10. Allen Sports Tension Bar Bicycle Cross-Bar Adaptor
This is a different product to make it to this review and you guessed right, it isn’t a bike rack. We found something different while carrying out our research and realized this product can also be of help too. Anyone who goes through this review must have seen all the entries that makes use of a top tube to connect the bike and the rack. This is because they own a bike that doesn’t come with a conventional top tube.
This product has a simple design as it is designed to get hooked onto the bike frame and this is useful as it helps in creating a top bar therefore making way for your bikes to be carried by different bike racks. If you are going through this review you may not need this product but if you do then you should check it out as it also comes at a very low price.
- Helps in forming a top tube
- Comes with an internal and secure spring mounted lock
- Has a plastic coating that offers your bike protection
11. CyclingDeal 1 Bike Car Roof Carrier Rack Bicycle Racks
This is a bike rack carrier that is designed using high quality steel material and this isn’t just any steel material but a steel material that has a powder coating and even though most bike racks are designed to be sturdy, they also have their own disadvantages. The major downside of this product is it is susceptible to corrosion and also very heavy but the advantage of the powder coating is it would prevent corrosion.
With this feature, you would expect this product to last for a longer period of time and another feature that makes this bike rack unique is its tie down strap which makes sure your bike is properly secured while driving. This bike rack is designed to accommodate several types of bikes but customers who have tried it out also complained about this bike rack being difficult to install.
Overall, this bike rack is affordable and highly secured bike rack. It also comes with a great warranty.
- Its straps keeps bike secured
- Features a powder coated steel frame
- Has a wide accommodating capacity
- Can be locked
12. CyclingDeal 1 Bike Bicycle Car Roof Carrier
This bike rack designs ensures it fits properly at the roof and buyers should also note that this bike rack has an upright design unlike other products which has a laid down design. As usual, this bike rack has a steel frame construction and securing this bike rack on the roof of your car is made possible using crossbars. There is no way this bike rack would be properly secured on your vehicle if there isn’t a crossbar.
Despite being made with high quality steel, this bike rack is actually lightweight and would accommodate weight of about 30lbs. Having an amazing and sturdy design is what attracts buyers to this but it also has its downsides and being difficult to install is a major downside of this product. There are however many more factors why this bike rack for cars is a major hit and a reliable product.
Mounting might be difficult but this bike rack is affordable and also designed to last.
- Designed specifically for carbon bikes
- Has a lightweight design
- Its frame is free from corrosion
- Designed to accommodate most types of bikes
13. SportRack SR4883 Upright Bike Carrier
SportsRack might not be a very popular brand like the other big names we have talked about in this review but this is a bike rack that you can trust to work with or accommodate different types of bikes. This bike is designed to stay in an upright position and whats more, it comes with a wheel tray which makes sure the bike rack is well secured. It has a lightweight design that makes it easy to be placed on the roof.
The overall design of this bike rack is for it to have maximum stability and its wheel tray that helps to hold it secure can also be adjusted with ease. An advantage of this bike rack is it comes with a shiny black finish that offers your car a modern look and also makes it look attractive. This bike has a modest design and also comes with some cool features but it isn’t close to having a perfect design.
This bike rack doesn’t have a foam tape or padding and this might cause some scratches to the body of your vehicle or the mounted bike itself.
- Designed to work with full suspension bikes
- Designed to be very stable
- Comes at a decent price
- Has a wheel tray to keep it secured
14. Hollywood Racks Express Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
One unique aspect of this bike rack is it comes in two forms and they include three bike models and two bikes but they tend to have the same specification but varying capacity and weight. Its design enables it to perfectly fit most bikes while its hubs are user-friendly and also easy to use and adjust. Users would be impressed with this bike rack as it features soft cradles which which offers the frame of the bike protection.
Storing up this bike rack at the end of the day is very easy as it folding design makes it very possible to fold and whats more about this bike rack, it is also designed to be lightweight. Having nylon straps makes securing very easy and there wasn’t any need for velcro strapping to make this bike rack secure. Users would love this bike rack for its sturdiness, capacity, weight and other impressive features .
It is a good option if you want a low cost but yet reliable bike rack for cars.
- Easy to adjust
- Comes with long nylon straps
- Offers several bike support
15. SeaSucker Falcon Bike Rack, 1-Bike
The SeaSucker Falcon bike rack is one that is designed only for pickup trucks but that doesn’t mean it can’t be positioned at the back of other vehicles. However, there is something quite special about this bike rack and that is because it has a rear mounted design but doesn’t require straps for mounting. Unlike other low quality bike racks on the market, this is one that is quite easy to install.
It isn’t one that is prone to damage but it is designed to be very strong. One more thing is this bike rack isn’t ideal for rooftop mounting and it also lacks padding which helps to prevent the window or vehicle from scratches. For people who have bikes and pickups then this bike rack is just the best option for you but its price is also on the high side.
- Comes with vacuum suction for easy mounting
- Very easy installation process
- Doesn’t require the use of multiple straps
- Has an impressive weight capacity
Vital Features to Look out for When Shopping for Bike Rack for Cars
We are going to talk about some key features below that you ought to look out for when considering which model to settle for;
- Padded Securing Points – if you intend settling for a bike rack that would hold a bike using a top tube then you should also be on the look out for its padded securing points. They are quite helpful in offering your paintwork protection when trying to lock the rack in place.
- Strong Securing Points – a bike is somehow meant to be attached to the rack and the securing points have to come together to so hold the bike in a secure position so as not to cause damage of any sort to the frame.
- Locking Cables – these devices are already in-built and are important as they help protect your bikes from getting stolen. This feature would mostly be in high quality and premium bike rack models so try to check if the bike rack you are settling for comes with locking cables.
- Car Attachment Points – this refers to the point of the rack that comes in contact with the car and for sure you would definitely want those points to be well padded so ensure they are made of plastic or least tipped.
There are quite so many excellent bike rack for cars in this review but that product which holds the number one spot is the Allen Sports Deluxe Hitch Mounted bike rack. This product has all you need speaking in terms of value and performance combined with a powerful design but there are also other high quality products that you would encounter in this review so take your time and pay close attention to their features.