Owning a car is like owning a pet. You need to take good care of it if you want it to live longer. Same goes with a car, if you want it to serve you well, taking care of it and providing regular maintenance will surely lengthen its usability.
Now when it comes to care and car maintenance, your car needs to look shiny and clean at all times. One of the best ways to do this is applying the best car wax that you can find.
What is Car Wax?
A car wax is a substance made from natural ingredients called carnauba waxes which gives the best shine to cars. However this substance can also be created synthetically.
It is also been proven that even though the natural wax can shine well, it does not last long enough compared to ones made from synthetic substances.
Types of Car Waxes
There are two types of car wax used in cleaning cars. Knowing the difference between the two will educate you on which should be used first and which ones should be the last.
- Cleaner wax – works according to its name. The cleaner wax is a wax used to clean the car. This type of wax contain three main chemicals that are very helpful in cleaning your car, giving it the shine you need and at the same time provide a protective layer to the car’s paint. This wax is good for quick cleanup especially if you haven’t really cleaned your car in a while or if you need a clean and presentable car in a short period of time. However, keep in mind that a cleaner wax is not ideal for cars with paint oxidation or rust. If you haven’t cleaned your car in years, it’s best to have it professionally cleaned rather than using this type of wax.
- Finishing Waxes – this type of wax is the finale for your car. If you want to have a really shiny car then this is the best car wax to get. Finishing waxes does not have strong chemicals unlike cleaner waxes. So it cannot be used to clean the car or remove any debris from it.
As you can see it is not too hard to distinguish the type of car wax to buy. Make sure to read the labels before purchasing one so you know what kind of car wax you are getting.
Top 5 Best Car Waxes to Try
Now that you know the types of car waxes out there, you must learn about the top five car waxes that you can find in the market today. Here’s what we have collected:
1. Liquid Glass LG-100
Our First choice for car wax belongs to Liquid Glass. The LG – 100 Ultimate is also considered to be one of the favorites by many users. This car wax can provide your car with a mirror-like shine that can wow other car owners.
It also protects your car really well especially from road salt deterioration, acid rain, sap, rust, tar, corrosion, dulling and even bird droppings.
It can also help prevent scratch formation and can give high gloss after application. The results are almost instant too in comparison to other brands. The liquid glass finish it provides works as an excellent car protection for your car especially from cracking or peeling.
It also prevents your car from turning yellow as well as cracking paint. It can be used also on all types of paints, all bright work and all glass and is safe to use.
- It results to high gloss finish.
- Protects the car from cracking, peeling, chipping or turning yellow.
- You don’t need to remove it after use.
- It has a glass-like appearance after application and brings out the shine in your car.
- It is easy to apply.
- It’s sold at a reasonable price.
- Not ideal for cars that are powder-coated.
- It may not work with all cars.
2. Meguiar’s G17516
Another brand name that you can trust when it comes to car cleaners and wax belongs to Meguiar’s.
This wonderful car wax features the Hydrophobic Polymer Technology that makes any car paint look lively with deep, wet-look shine that average car waxes cannot give.
This is also a polymer-based spray wax that can be applied directly even on hot surfaces without leaving any streaks or white residues.
- It works really well on different cars.
- The price is inexpensive for such an effective wax.
- All you have to do is spray and wipe.
- It helps protect your car’s paint.
- It does not leave any residue.
- The shine lasts longer compared to other brands.
- It dries quickly and brings out the shine in a matter of minutes after wiping.
- This product the bottle was half way filled up. Check in with the customer service if this happens.
- Some customers complained about the product leaving a smeary finish on their cars.
- Does not work on certain cars.
3. Mothers 10016 Reflections Car Wax
This wonderful car wax has been rated with 4.9 stars by many of its satisfied users.
It is because this car wax can do an excellent job in keeping your car shiny and looking brand new thanks to its main ingredients. It is also the latest generation of car wax developed by the company which contains clearcoat safe paint care technology as well as advancement in the liquid polymer technologies added by the brand.
This allows the user to blend this product with mild cleaners using high-gloss polymers. As a result, your car looks brand-new with long lasting protective coat and shine. You can also use this product alone or with other cleaners if you wish to obtain even stunning results.
- It works as an excellent sealant.
- It is easy to apply and remove.
- It gives long lasting shine and works perfectly with dark colored cars.
- It provides long lasting protection if used regularly.
- The smell may be too strong; customers described it as “an old man’s cologne”.
- It may not work on certain types of cars especially really old ones.
4. Mothers 05750
Another good car wax from Mothers is the 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax. This product is among the most popular products in the market today thanks to the Ultimate Wax System that delivers deep shine as well as lasting protection to your car.
It also helps protect pains and clearcoats the car after application. It also helps enhance the color of your car and at the same time preserves the finish of your car just the way you like it.
- It can be applied more than once for added protection.
- It is safe to use even multiple times.
- Provides your car with long lasting shine.
- It works really well.
- Can help protect the paint of your car.
- It fits your budget.
- Customers complained that it is a bit difficult to use compared to other brands.
- It is hard work as hand wax. Works with power buffers.
5. Turtle Wax T-415
For our last choice, we give to you Turtle Wax. This product can help remove any scratches in your car as well as swirl marks. It also removes surface blemishes along with grit sanding scratches. It is also silicone free so you know that this wax can work with paint and is preferred by those who work in professional detailing in cars.
It can be applied by hand or a rotary polisher. It is generally safe for all finishes. You can choose to use microfiber, cotton or foam pads as applicator. If done correctly, it can give you the best shine you are aiming for.
- It works great with different cars.
- Works well in removing scratches.
- It’s easy to use with the right tools.
- Can provide with long-lasting shine and protection for your car.
- Works great at a price you can afford.
- It may not entirely remove all scratches.
- Customers complained that it did not work as expected even when they followed the instructions.
The Different Forms of Car Wax
When we say car wax, the first thing that would come into mind is that this stuff is actually wax. However it is not entirely made of wax as it comes in four different forms. The only reason why they call is “wax” because of the main component that it is made of.
Now before you but the car wax you want, it is important that you know other forms. This way you know what option to take and which ones work best for you.
- Liquid wax – this type of wax is very easy to use. In fact, it is durable and can give off easy gloss in one application. It can be applied once then wait for a few seconds before wiping it off so you can achieve the shine you need. However there’s a little downside to this type of wax. It can be a bit difficult to apply evenly so you have to create a good way of applying this so you can get an even coat.
- Spray wax – another wax that you can find in the market these days is the spray type. Although this is less popular among car owners, it can do wonders if used correctly. However this might not work if you live in an area where the weather is constantly changing but if you are someone who prefers washing and waxing only then this is the product you need.
- Rubbing compound wax – it mainly used to restore any marks as a result from scratches. It helps restore the appearance of your car as well as keeping the damaged parts looking brand new. It is quick and easy to use but it can also be a pain when applying.
- Paste wax – are great in terms of durability. They can last longer compare to other types. It’s also easy to use in comparison to other types.
Now that you know the different types of car wax out there, go ahead and take your pick. Make sure that the car you have is compatible with the wax you chose otherwise you will be wasting money. You must also know the main components of the wax before applying it.
This way it doesn’t ruin your car’s paint. You should also pick the right form of car wax that way it is a lot easier to apply and shine. Picking the right car wax will definitely save you time and money so make sure that you know what to get.