What is the best diesel fuel additive and how do I get the best in the market, you ask?
Gaining on their consistent increase late in 2017, crude oil prices climbed further upward towards $70 per barrel on the three of the topmost benchmarks in the world, in the first week of January 2018. It’s not cool for non-oil exporting countries right?
Amongst other economic effects, what that means is you’re going to pay more than you ever did since 2014 for fueling your vehicle, farming equipment, maintenance machines, amongst other diesel-consuming equipment.
As oil prices continue to soar, driving a diesel engine car will cost you more than you’ll spend on a gasoline-fueled car engine. However, ditching your diesel-powered vehicle would never be the solution as gasoline cars are not left out of the effects of soaring oil prices.
What you need is a smart diesel fuel economization, which is achievable by use of fuel additives compatible for your diesel vehicle. But then, you may run foul of the various diesel fuel additives in the market due to non-objective online reviews laced with various marketing strategies.
The circumstances above have compelled us to compile a list of the best diesel and fuel treatment that are in stock in the market. We will give you the in-depth information you’ll need when it comes to getting the right additives for every weather conditions.
Our product picks will give your ride more mileage, reduce your fuel’s gelling, while not adding to the current greenhouse emission nemesis.
A fuel additive – one of whose purpose is economizing fuel – comes at a high cost, we say the purpose of using diesel supplements is defeated. One of the major deciders of our picks is the price of the additives. We introduce to you the list below:
5 Best Diesel Fuel Additives In The Market
- 5 Best Diesel Fuel Additives In The Market
- 1. PowerService Kleen +Cetane Boost Additive
- 2. Stanadyne case-of-6-jugs Performance Formula
- 3. Howes 103060 ‘Diesel Treat’ – Best Seller
- 4. Lucas 10013 Fuel Treatment
- 5. Schaeffer 2000 Winter DieselTreat additive
- Advantages of Using Diesel Fuel Additives
1. PowerService Kleen +Cetane Boost Additive
This is arguably the best diesel fuel additive you can get in the market, both at online and off-line stores (physical locations).
The 80-ounce Power Service +Cetane Boost additive is a complete fuel injector cleaner and diesel engine performance optimizer. It contains detergent, lubrication improver and the aliphatic hydrocarbon, cetane, the standard for diesel fuel which reduces periods of ignition delay.
The product boosts cetane up to six numbers while enhancing the smooth-running of the engine with reduced power lag and quicker cold starts.
When you use this diesel fuel additive, it optimizes the overall performance of the engine and adds up more milage to your vehicle – you can only run it like you stole it…but be careful on the road!
PowerService’s Kleen +Cetane series are available in 16 oz., 32 oz., 80 oz., 1 gallon, 2.5 gallons, 55 gallons (drum), 260 gallons tote and in bulk.
What you would like
- The PowerService product smoothens rough-running engines.
- It economizes fuel by around eight percent and returns lost power.
- It effectively cleans the injector, internally and externally.
- Product is a power booster. It decreases the need to downshift to lowed gear.
- Product consists of Slickdiesel® Lubricator which helps secure injectors and fuel pumps from increased wear-outs set out by ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.
- The product is quite effective in diesel fuels such as biodiesel, the ULSD and biodiesel blends.
- It doesn’t damage exhausts of 2007 and newer vehicles.
- You should expect lessened puff of smoke.
- Quality but very cheap product.
What you may dislike
- When it comes to the winter period and the temperature drops below 30°, what you need is the PowerService 1080-06 or the Schaeffer DieselTreat, as the Kleen +Cetane Boost doesn’t contain anti-gell/freeze.
2. Stanadyne case-of-6-jugs Performance Formula
Few brands in the fuel supplement industry boast of products of high quality performance and good users report as the Stanadyne products offer.
When a fuel additive comes from a company which specifies in manufacturing of injector equipment, you expect their lubricants and fuel additives to be problem solvers right? And they sure are!
However, if you feel dissatisfied after the use of the Performance Formula, you probably may not get a better supplement in the market.
The product is an anti-gelling formula – suitable for all seasons – that adds tens of mileage distance per gallon of added oil supplement. It contains blends of lubricants and detergents for a high-performing engine system while also ensuring a cleaner injector. The product comes at a reasonable price just like the Lucas 10013 which is the 4th on our list below. It comes in large case-of-six 64-ounce jugs which all comes under $200.
The Performance Formula is a product approved and recommended by several original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) such as Ford, General Motors, Deere and Navistar. The product helps restore horsepower by cleaning deposits in the injector.
It adds lubrications to diesels that are low in sulfur for an optimized engine performance. According to a research on the product’s fuel reduction capacity, the Performance Formula improved the miles per gallon by average of 4 percent and peak of 9.6 percent.
The Standanyne product is worth trying out by every diesel engine users. Objectively, the product offers such a good service to your engine that we found it hard finding its downside. Besides, all the reviews on Amazon rated it 5 out of 5 as at time of writing this article. You may want to check it out.
What you would like
- It is compatible for all seasons.
- It reduces wears and prevents corrosion.
- It helps reduce carbon emission.
- It has special demulsifiers that rid droplets of water from fuel system.
- Unlike the Lucas’s, this product reduces noise in the engine.
- It improves cetane in fuel for proper combustion, easier startup and smooth running of engine.
3. Howes 103060 ‘Diesel Treat’ – Best Seller
This product is the cheapest fuel additive on our list and it rightly is one of the best rated diesel fuel treatment money can buy.
The Howes 103060 is a 64-ounce diesel fuel antifreeze and conditioning additive. We swear by, you would have no problem starting your engine even at subzero winter periods.
It is highly rated and the preferred choice among people with diesel equipment like farmers and maintenance crews. It is the favorite for people living or travelling in wintery weather conditions and those who need a fuel economization system.
The ‘Diesel Treat’ formula is one of the best when you’re looking to boost the cetane rate of your diesel fuel. The Howes 103060 formula is effective and safe for all types of diesel fuels.
The formula can last you for a whole winter as the 64 ounce content can treat a 300 gallons of diesel fuel. The product contains demulsifying substance which helps eliminate water from your diesel fuel, something which occurs usually in winter periods as waters could get freezed up in engine filters, creating a problem for your engine. ‘Diesel Treat’ helps you escape this unfavorable circumstance.
What you would like
- It is one of the best additive for cold weathers. It has antigel and reduces base fuel’s cold filter plugs to around 20°.
- It is usable in all variants of diesels, including the biodiesel blends.
- It is cheap and also offers effective fuel economy.
- It is best used for engines in heavy equipment and trucks.
What you may dislike
- Howes 10360 isn’t a good deposit cleaner. If your vehicle or equipment stores up the unwanted substances such as carbon soots, you may want to consider products in the top four positions of this article.
4. Lucas 10013 Fuel Treatment
This is a product of U.S.-based lubrication Supplements Company considered the fastest growing manufacturers of fuel additives and lubricants.
Many turn to fuel additives so as to escape from the rising cost of fuel. And one factor which made this product edge out many other additives is that it is relatively cheap for a one-gallon fuel additive and is usable by both gasoline and diesel engines.
The Lucas 10013 ensures a proper lubrication and cleanup of your engine’s fuel system while complying with the industry standard of ultra-low sulfur contents in motor vehicles.
The product increases vehicle’s horsepower and mileage by burning off excessive emissions in the exhaust. It contains high detergents which cleans up, maintains lubrication of carburetors and injector, which all enhance the vehicle’s maximum operation and longevity of injector and pump. It is one of the highest cetane booster in the automobile industry as it can ensure boost from 5 to 9 points.
Overall, this is a top product from a top brand. We highly recommend this additive as it will give you a service of your money’s worth. You should check the price and great customer reviews here on Amazon.
What you would like
- It is a versatile product that can be used by diesel and gasoline-powered engines.
- The content contains low sulfur deemed the standard set by the industry’s regulator.
- It prevents high fuel consumption in engines.
- It has no solvents.
- The product increases vehicle’s mileage and horsepower.
- It is ecological-friendly as it reduces emissions.
What you may dislike
- Its cleaning power not as much as other highly rated diesel fuel additives.
- Some users reported increase in vehicle’s noise after application.
5. Schaeffer 2000 Winter DieselTreat additive
This is one fuel supplement you should never step on the road in a winter day without having in your engine.
The one-gallon Schaeffer ultra-low sulfur additive is the best diesel fuel supplement for your engine during winter weather conditions. It offers diesel fuels a cold temperature shield. It prevents clogging and plugging of your engine’s injector as it breaks up and removes wax and paraffin from the fuel system.
With this product, you’ll get a dependable shield against fuel gelling and freezing when the temperature slides below 30°. This means you will not have problem starting your engine during cold conditions.
Coming with a relatively low price, it offers a treat ratio of 2 oz. per 15 gallons of diesel fuel or 16 oz. per 125 gallons of diesel fuel. By forming a layer on metal elements, the Schaeffer DieselTreat helps shield the diesel engine’s fuel system and injector from wearing away.
In addition, it increases the diesel fuel’s cetane to two to four points.
What you would like
- With its SynShield lubricication technology, DieselTreat will protect your engine from wearing out. It also minimizes friction between moving components in the engine.
- It maximizes your fuel economy for up to three percentage.
- It is one of the best diesel additive during winter periods.
- It is an ultra-low sulfur fuel additive.
- It is a moisture controller and an effective de-freezer during low temperatures.
- The product is ecological-friendly and increases your engine’s horsepower as it removes soots and carbon, and ensures a clean fuel system.
What you may dislike
- The major downside is we are yet to find that one thing you may dislike about this product.
But is there any significant benefit attached to using diesel fuel additives? Let us check out the following advantages of using fuel additives:
Advantages of Using Diesel Fuel Additives
- Diesel fuel additives enhance the temperature as well as the speed of burning diesel, which enables the vehicle to function more efficiently and also provides more power and energy.
- Fuel additives are efficient when it comes to improving the manner in which fuel is burnt. This increased efficiency enhances the performance of diesel engines.
- Diesel fuel additives are superb at cleaning the injectors which are also instrumental to the smooth functioning of the machinery.
- Most additives are composed of several components, and the exceptionally good ones contain one form of lubricant or the other, which helps diesel engines to operate efficiently, thus reducing wear and tear. When an engine does not suffer wear and tear, it tends to run longer as well as minimize the cost of maintenance.
- Some additives comprise of corrosion inhibitors which also help in prolonging the lifespan of an engine by collaboratively working with lubricants to prevent moving metal parts of engines from corroding.
- Diesel fuel additives engender improved fuel economy as a result of a drastic reduction in repairs and running costs.
- With the use of fuel additives, the reliability of trucks or vehicles that use diesel engines will soar since these vehicles will be able to spend more time on the move.
- Lots of firms require driving in cold countries or during winter periods to deliver goods to retailers or consumers. When the weather is freezing, there is a high risk of breakdown for diesel-powered vehicles. This is as a result of the crystallization of diesel which in turn, prevents the flow of fuel around the engine. When this happens, the vehicle becomes almost useless.
- Due to the vast difference in the quality of petroleum products from one country to another, you will be making a huge mistake if you rely on them. But by making use of fuel additives, you will be sure to not only improve the quality of fuel but also ensure that your engines function at optimum levels of operation.
So, these are just some of the benefits of using diesel fuel additives to improve the lifespan of your engine and to ensure optimum operability.
While picking the best diesel fuel additive which will work for you, we implore you consider factors such as weather conditions, anti-gel inclusion, fuel efficiency and economization. Of course, additives with fair prices are a constant thing to look out for. Our recommendations embed all these factors and we can vouch you would have no regrets when you make the right choice.
However, if you are still at a loss in picking any of the selected 5 best diesel fuel additives, we suggest you check out Amazon’s Best Sellers list for diesel fuel additives.